Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Holes

Holes 

Author: Louis Sachar 
Grade Level: 4-6 
Genre: Fiction 
Awards: Newbery Medal, Dorothy Canfield Fisher Children's Book Award, and National Book Award for Young People's Literature

Summary: This is a story of a boy named Stanley Yelnats.  When Stanley is wrongfully accused of stealing, he is sent to Camp Green Lake.  His family blames the accusation on their bad luck which has followed them for many generations.  When brought to the camp, Stanley meets other troubled youth.  Their only job at this camp is to dig.  As the story progresses, Stanley befriends another boy named Hector Zeroni.  At the end of the book, Stanley's friendship with Hector frees his family of their curse and brings an unexpected treasure. 

Evaluation: I loved this book!  I read this one back when I was in middle school.  My classmates and I loved it.  The plot was interesting and kept me engaged throughout.  This is a book I would love to use in my class (possibly as a book club book).

The age appropriateness is between fourth and sixth grade.  I personally would not go lower on the grade because some subjects come up that might be too mature for younger readers. 

I would love to use this book for a book club.  There are a lot of discussions this book could lead to that would help build the overall classroom community.  There are also a lot of free online resources available for this book if you do choose to use it in a book club or as a whole class reading.  

No comments:

Post a Comment