Thursday, October 4, 2018

The New Kid on the Block


The New Kid on the Block

Author: Jack Prelutsky
Illustrator: James Stevenson 
Grade Level: 1-3
Genre: Poetry 
Awards: Garden State Children's Book Award (New Jersey), ALA Notable Children's Book

Summary: This collection of poetry shows the humorous and entertaining works of Jack Prelutsky.  Similar to Shel Silverstein, Prelutsky includes a lot of humor in his poems.  He has a habit of leaving a surprise ending to many of his poems.  In his poem "New Kid on the Block," the writer is describing a new kid in school who is a mean bully to everyone.  At the end, the writer reveals that the bully is a girl.  "I'm Thankful" also has a humorous surprise ending.  After describing all these random, broken objects this child is thankful for, he ends by saying he is thankful for everything except liver.  "Homework!  Oh, Homework!" is a cute poem about how badly homework stinks.  The poet concludes that homework simply stinks.

Evaluation: I loved this collection of poems.  Jack Prelutsky reminded me a lot of Shel Silverstein.  Prelutsky uses a lot of humor in his poems, humor that middle school students will love!  The fact that I enjoyed it so much gives me the idea that my students too will enjoy it.  I plan on using this one soon.

This collection of poems is appropriate for first through third grade.  Most of the messages being conveyed are important (and told in a humorous way!).

This collection would tie along well with a unit on poetry.  I have found that there are a lot of funny students in my classes.  Exposing them to work like this will help them see ways they can appropriately incorporate their humor in the classroom (in a way that's productive and meaningful).  

No comments:

Post a Comment