Thursday, October 25, 2018

I Am Human

I Am Human 

Author: Susan Verde
Grade Level: 2-4
Genre: Realistic Fiction
Awards: none

Summary: This is a story about a young child who discovers the many things that make us as humans unique.  As a way to inspire, the child talks about taking chances, trying new things, making better choices, listening, and being compassionate.  It ends with the child stating how important it is to be the best that you can be.  By being the best, nicest, and kindest person you can be, you can help make a difference in the world. 

Evaluation: Overall, this book was a good book.  It helped inspire the reader to do acts of kindness, ask for forgiveness, and value differences in others.  I did notice that this book made sure to be politically correct by adding a gender-neutral narrator, who could not be identified as a male or female.  I think the lessons being taught are valuable lessons for all ages.  I could see myself using this in my future classroom.

The readability is between second and fourth grade.  Even though I noticed some political correctness weaved throughout the story, young students most likely will not catch it.  Older students, however, might be able to notices these things.  These themes would make for valuable talking points with your older students.

I could use this to teach the importance of empathy and being kind, but I could also use it to discuss political correctness in literature.  I think middle school students would love to have an open discussion about those themes in literature and whether or not they believe young children should be exposed to them that early or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment