Friday, October 12, 2018

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone 

Author: J.K. Rowling
Grade Level: 5-6
Genre: Fantasy
Awards: Nestle Smarties Book Prize for 9 to 11 years

Summary: The first book in the Harry Potter series introduces you to a boy named Harry Potter.  Harry's parents died when he was young, forcing him to live with his aunt, uncle, and cousin.  Harry's life take an unexpected turn when he finds out that he is a wizard.  This first book takes you through his first year of school at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.  During his first year there, he finds out that the man whom he supposedly killed as a baby is still alive.  The man, who shall not be named (Voldemort), is trying to take the sorcerer's stone so that he can be the most powerful wizard.  At the end of this book, Harry stops him, saving the lives of many witches and wizards.  Unfortunately, Voldemort vanishes, waiting for another time to strike.

Evaluation: I do see myself having this book in my future classroom library.  I know a lot of people do not approve of this book, but students love it.  Even though the book deals with witchcraft and wizardry, it is an example of good writing.  If parents do not want their student reading the book, then they don't have to.  The book will simply be there for students who can read the book.  (Fun fact... I was not allowed to read this book either when I was younger.  I didn't read the series until I was in college.)

The readability is between grades five and six in the first book of the series.  The books are meant to steadily increase in difficulty as a student continues the series.  Even though this is the age the book appears to be written for, I would recommend waiting until the students are a little older.  It is important for students who read this know that the things addressed in the book are fictional.

A way I could use this in my classroom is using it as an example of a descriptive introduction.  Another way I could use this book is showing the picture-pushing detail this book includes.  The author uses a lot of strong detail to paint the picture of this imaginary world.

No comments:

Post a Comment