Thursday, September 27, 2018

Leprechaun Tales


Leprechaun Tales 

Traditional Irish stories retold by Yvonne Carroll
Illustrator: Jacqueline East
Grade Level: 2-5
Genre: Traditional Literature 
Awards: none

Summary: The book takes the reader through six traditional Irish stories about leprechauns.  The Crock of Gold, The Sidhe, and The Magic Cloak all show the master trickery of leprechauns.  Being known for their gold, these three tales show what happens when a human tries to take a leprechaun's gold.  In these three tales, the leprechauns outsmarted the humans in unique and clever ways.  Niamh, The Fairy Lios, and The New House all show what happens when you interfere with a leprechaun's home.  These last three tales show that there is a high price to pay when you mess with their surroundings.  Thankfully, the leprechauns were forgiving in returning Niamh back to her family (from Niamh) and giving Eithne (from The Fairy Lios) back her ability to sleep.  Unfortunately, the family from The New House was never able to enjoy their newly built home after the leprechauns destroyed it.  Humans are never to mess with a leprechaun's gold or house.

Evaluation:  This was SO good!  I actually bought this book when I was in Ireland a couple of years ago.  I didn't have the chance to read all the way through it until now.  It could just be because I love Ireland, but I am definitely using this in my classroom.  I think these tales would help encourage creative writing in my class.

This books readability is between the grade levels of second and fifth grade.  I will note though... the names, being traditional Irish names, might be difficult for young readers.  Some of the names were even difficult for me.  Overall though, children and student will love this book!

I thought this would be a great way to introduce the creative fiction writing unit!  Students could use these tales to come up with tales of their own.  You could even use this as a multicultural unit and teach spoken Irish traditions and tales.  Students could then be given the chance to share traditions and tales from their cultures.  

No comments:

Post a Comment